November 5th, 2012 we boarded a flight to Beijing with a one way ticket in hand. In that first dingy hostel we meekly explained our half hatched idea to other travelers. I remember one particular couple listened to our story with a mix of pity and scorn as they sipped their green tea over breakfast. Their response amounted ‘mmm, this is your first week, you said?’
After that, we decided to keep our insanity to ourselves and not admit to anyone else that we were total newbs, shaking in our brand spanking new backpacks. Now that our travel flip flops have acquired that special pong of long term travel, and our hair has adopted the nondescript mousey shag of people living outside the conventions of ‘presentability,’ we feel the boldness of our roadie clout and dispense advice like we know what the hell we were talking about. We have dreamed bigger and crazier, and our adventures have taken on a new patina of insanity.
Some of our favorite moments thus far:
- An amazing cooking class in Bagan, Myanmar
- And of course, the cooking class in Kuala Lumpur that got us obsessed with Malaysian cuisine
- Watching the Super Moon rise over Gili T
- Snorkeling and diving in the amazing turquoise waters of Komodo National Park
- And our personal favorites; all of the family visits!!